Welcome to our A1 Adverbs Exercises. Let’s learn how to use adverbs to describe the action. It is important to learn how to use them properly at this beginning stage of English. These A1 Adverbs Exercises teach you to say how and how often you do something.
Adverbs for describing how you do something
You can make adverbs from adjectives.
- adjective + -ly: quick → quickly, bad → badly
- adjectives with -l, also add -ly: careful → carefully
- adjectives with -y change to -ly: easy → easily, happy → happily
You put most adverbs after the verb: He walked slowly to school.
Adverbs that look like adjectives
Some adverbs have the same spelling as adjectives. You use them the same way as adverbs.
- Fast, hard: He runs fast. She studies hard.
Adverbs for describing how often and how much
You put the following adverbs before the verb.
- Never, rarely, sometimes, often, usually, always: I often play football. I never listen to jazz music.
Very and quite
Some adverbs say how much.
- you put very and quite before the adjective: That music is too loud. This book is quite good.
- A1 Adverbs
- A1 Articles
- A1 Can and Can’t
- A1 Dates, days and numbers
- A1 Have
- A1 Indefinite article
- A1 It Sentences
- A1 Linking Words
- A1 Much and Many
- A1 Offers and suggestions
- A1 Possessive ‘s and s’
- A1 Prepositions of Place
- A1 Prepositions Word Search
- A1 Present Simple
- A1 Pronouns
- A1 Questions
- A1 Regular Adjectives
- A1 Regular Verbs Set 1 Word Search
- A1 Regular Verbs Set 2 Word Search
- A1 Regular Verbs Set 3 Word Search
- A1 Singular and Plural Nouns
- A1 There and Their
- A1 Wh questions
- A1 Body and Face Extra Exercises
- A1 Clothes Extra Exercises
- A1 Describing Things
- A1 Family Extra Exercises
- A1 Film Star Vocabulary
- A1 Food and Drink Extra Exercises
- A1 Greetings and Introductions
- A1 Health Extra Exercises
- A1 House and Home
- A1 School
- A1 Shopping Extra Exercises
- A1 Sports and Leisure Extra Exercises
- A1 Talking about People
- A1 Time
- A1 Transport
- A1 Weather Extra Activities
- A1 Work
- Christmas Easy Exercises
Pre A1 Starters | A1 Movers (Beginner) | A2 Flyers (Elementary)